June 10, 2023
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
June 11, 2023
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
In this workshop we will learn how to portray a few special plants in a small bouquet or posy, drawing inspiration from 17th-century artist Alexander Marshall and his vintage flower bouquet watercolors. Explore the Hoffman’s Wonder Garden or your own garden to gather a few early summer treasures.
The first day will be spent sketching, refining our drawings, learning about color pencil techniques, and experimenting with using tracing paper to create pleasing compositions. The second day we will transfer our refined drawings to final paper and complete our illustrations.
The workshop will include a presentation of Dorota’s botanical drawings of various seasonal plants, step by step examples, a demonstration of how to approach drawing from observation, and various colored pencil techniques, in addition to ample time to draw together.
Although drawing in realistic form will be the focus, individual styles will be encouraged and celebrated. All levels welcome.
Gather some live subjects to draw from your own garden. We will also have access to the Hoffman Wonder Garden to gather a few small cuttings.
Please bring the following to class:
• Sketchbook of your choice (such as Strathmore Drawing 400 series)
• Pencil (either H or F) and pencil sharpener.
• Kneaded eraser (Prismacolor)
• Tombow Mono Zero eraser (optional)
• Tracing paper
• Colored pencils set (I recommend Artist-quality colored pencils such as Faber Castell Polychromos, Pablo by Caran d’Ache, Derwent Coloursoft, Prismacolor Premier, or Luminance by Caran d’Ache)
• Marker blender: There are many on the market, my favorite is a Copic Sketch Marker or Tombow Colorless blender 0 brush tip.
• Another good blender is a wax stick by Caran d’Ache called Colorless Blender.
• Drawing paper of your choice such as Stonehenge Hot press Watercolor paper (140 lbs).
• If you like brown surfaces, try Strathmore 400 Toned Mixed Media Pad Tan
(thicker paper) or Strathmore 400 Recycled Toned Sketch Pad Toned Tan (thinner paper).